top of page

Insurance in France

Updated: Sep 14, 2022

In France, mandatory insurance coverage extends to a wide variety of fields. This comprehensive guide will help you make sure that you are adequately insured while you are living in France.

It's possible that many newcomers to France aren't acclimated to the French approach to insurance, which is more dirigiste. When it comes to things like liability, for instance, you almost always need to have coverage. This article is intended to provide a comprehensive overview of insurance in France and to assist you in acquiring the appropriate coverage to meet your needs while residing in that country.


Do you think you understand insurance? Think again. Lemonade is bringing insurance into the 21st century by making it possible to purchase liability and contents coverage in a matter of minutes. You'll be able to purchase and manage your coverage right from the convenience of your phone using their straightforward English application. You can immediately safeguard your property and family home with lemonade.

An outline of the insurance market in France

The French insurance market is ranked fifth worldwide and second in Europe, making it one of the most developed markets in the world (behind only the UK). In 2017, the insurance industry in France generated a revenue of 293 million euros, and there are 285 insurance companies currently doing business in the country.

Through the Autorite de Controle Prudentiel et de Resolution, the Banque de France oversees insurance regulation in France (ACPR). The French Insurance Federation (Federation Francaise de l'Assurance - FFA) is comprised of more than 260 different insurance businesses throughout the country of France.

To comply with the law, citizens of France are obliged to purchase a variety of various insurance policies. In addition to this, you also have the option to purchase several supplementary insurance policies.

Naturally, there are a lot of different firms and insurance plans to choose from. You may communicate with an insurance company either through the internet, through a local agent, or a broker. Additionally, insurance may be purchased via supermarkets and banks. Insurance businesses in France include:

● Lemonade

● Lemonade AXA


● Luko

Which insurance in France is legally required?

Health insurance

It is mandatory for citizens and permanent residents to obtain health insurance in France. Protection Universelle Malade, abbreviated as PUMA, is an insurance program that began covering French citizens in 2016. This protects expatriates working in France from their very first day, although other legal residents may get public health insurance provided they have stayed in the nation for three consecutive months on a "stable and regular basis."

Having said that, the plan does include certain restrictions. As a result, a significant number of foreign nationals and French residents will purchase supplemental private insurance. The following are examples of large private international health insurance firms that offer coverage packages specifically tailored for expatriates:

Allianz Care Cigna Global

Home Insurance

Before moving into your new home in France, you are required to have a homeowner's insurance policy in place, regardless of whether you rent or own the property. It is estimated that over 90% of homeowners in France have multi-risk insurance, however individual coverage may also be purchased. Homeowner's insurance should cover the following:

● Building insurance – covers damage to the structure caused by things like fire, water damage, natural damage, as well as the harm caused by vandalism. Check the specifics of each policy to see what it covers. This is a requirement for renters and homeowners with a mortgage, but it is not necessary for individuals who own their house free and clear without a loan.

● Public liability insurance – It is mandatory for all citizens to take financial responsibility for any harm they do to other people or their property. This is often something that is required of tenants living in rental housing. It is possible to obtain this as part of a third-party liability insurance policy purchased separately; however, it is often included in house insurance packages.

● Contents insurance – Coverage for personal possessions is optional, but if it is purchased as part of a multi-risk homeowner's insurance policy, the cost for this coverage is often cheaper.

● Construction insurance – Large-scale building projects that you have carried out on your property are required to be covered by a ten-year insurance policy known as dommages-ouvrage. This prevents errors from occurring in the task that is carried out. This is available with several multi-risk products. You also have the option to buy it on its own.

The annual premium for a policy might be as little as one hundred euros or as much as three hundred or four hundred euros, depending on the value of the property and the level of coverage desired. You can acquire coverage as well as useful guidance in English if you work with an insurance broker that is expat-friendly, such as. These are the following:

● Luko

● Lemonade

Always be sure to read the fine print of any policy you purchase, paying particular attention to the excesses you will be required to carry and the responsibility you have to safeguard the property. When you are away for an extended time or at night, you may be required by certain policies to install an alarm or close the shutters.

Insurance for school children

Some homeowner's insurance plans will automatically cover your responsibility for any damage or injury that your kid may do at school, while others will provide this as a separate policy that can be purchased for a very low additional cost. In either scenario, the insurance company will provide you with a certificate or an attestation that the school will need you to provide when the next academic year begins.

Even while it is not technically necessary for you to have this to attend school, you will need it to participate in any activities that are not part of the official curriculum. These activities include any form of a field trip as well as extracurricular sports.

Motor vehicle insurance

In France, you are required to have collision liability insurance on any motor vehicles you own, even if they are not being used, unless all four wheels have been removed. There are three different types of policies available: comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, and third-party collision (tous risques).

You are required to carry a piece of paper called an attestation d'assurance, which is issued by your insurance provider to demonstrate that you are covered by their policy whenever you drive your vehicle. Included in this package is a certificate of insurance in the color green that verifies the legitimacy of your coverage. You need to affix this to the windshield of your car so that it is in plain view at all times.

In the case that you are involved in an accident, your insurance will also provide you a le constat amiable form, which is an internationally accepted document, to fill out.

The cost of auto insurance in France is determined by several criteria, including the value of the vehicle, the level of coverage desired, and the driving record of the insured. No-claims bonuses are earned at a rate of 5% each year, and it takes 13 years of driving without causing an accident to get a no-claims bonus worth a maximum of 50%.

Because of this, some drivers may offer to pay directly for the damage they do to avoid seeing a rise in the cost of their insurance policy. Before agreeing to take advantage of such an offer, you should give it some serious consideration. If the cost of repairing the damage is going to be higher than the money that you have received from the other party, then you will not be able to file a claim with your insurance company.

Social insurance

Those who are going to be working or attending school in France are the ones who are required to sign up for social security contributions. In France, public social security programs include:

● sickness, accidents, and disability;

● parental leave;

● family benefits;

● old-age French pensions;

● unemployment;

● survivor benefits

In most cases, workers are automatically enrolled in a social security program by their employers. However, to participate in a self-employed plan, employees who are self-employed need to register themselves. In our comprehensive guide on social security in France, you may find much more information.

Optional forms of insurance in France

● Life insurance

There are two types of life insurance in France:

● assurance vie

● assurance deces

The term "life insurance" refers to one kind of insurance policy that is often referred to as "assurance vie." A program that puts money away and invests it for long-term financial goals such as retirement or other long-term financial initiatives is what this phrase refers to. Additionally, it will pay out if the insured person passes away before the policy's term is up. In addition to the social insurance that is given by the state, many individuals also purchase this kind of insurance for themselves.

The term "death insurance" (sometimes written as "assurance deces") is French. However, this is the same thing as a life insurance policy, which is a term used in numerous nations throughout the world. Your family will only receive the premium payment in the event of your passing, which is tied to a loss of wages.

Assurance décès after an accident solely is relatively affordable (about €20 per month to cover all of the family), but when death via disease is added, the price is much greater and takes into consideration your age and your present condition of health.

You may be obliged to get life insurance if you obtain a significant mortgage loan from a French financial institution. If either you or your spouse passes away, the outstanding balance on the mortgage will be paid off. This will safeguard not only the bank but also your family.

Third-party liability insurance

Both homeowners' and drivers' policies are required to provide a minimum level of third-party liability coverage. Additionally, it is feasible to acquire separate liability insurance that covers any damage or injury caused to other people regardless of the setting in which it occurred. For instance, if your dog were to bite someone or if it accidentally caused harm to the property of another person.

You may get liability insurance apart from your homeowner's insurance policy and have it cover occurrences that take place in the house. The annual premium for a standalone plan typically ranges from around $180 to €160.

Legal insurance

This supplementary kind of insurance is not nearly as widespread in France as other kinds of insurance, such as life insurance or liability insurance. On the other hand, as it becomes more difficult to acquire legal assistance, an increasing number of individuals are opting to purchase insurance plans that cover legal fees.

If a person is sued or gets into a legal dispute, having legal insurance, also known as assurance de protection juridique, will cover the expenses associated with the legal processes. You can get it as a stand-alone policy, or it can be an available option as an add-on to your existing auto or homeowner's insurance.

Commercial insurance in France

If you want to operate a company in France, purchasing the appropriate insurance coverage to safeguard your assets and your good name is an absolute must on your part. In France, some types of commercial insurance are required, while others may be purchased on an optional basis. The primary ones are as follows:

Business liability insurance –

also known as "liability insurance for professionals" (l'assurance en responsabilité civile professionnelle). a requirement for all limited liability companies. You may be able to cover your business activities via your liability insurance if you are a freelancer or a lone trader, but you will need to define your activities and you will probably pay extra for coverage. If you are a solo trader, you are considered a freelancer.

Premises, equipment, and vehicle insurance – you may take them out as individual insurances or combine them in a multi-risk policy (assurance multi risque et perte d'exploitation). None of them protects against theft or damage caused by fire, water, storms, or other natural disasters, but it is strongly suggested that most companies implement at least some of them.

Business interruption insurance (assurance perte d'exploitation) – If the company is unable to function for an extended length of time, this protects against the loss of revenue, including the payment of staff wages. Certain insurance companies will provide you with packages that include coverage for your business's premises, equipment, and vehicles.

Assurance decennale – Insurance of this kind is required for some professions, including those of builder, plumber, and electrician. Your work is protected against flaws that damage the quality for ten years under this policy.

Tools for comparing insurance in France

Assurland – one of the most well-known insurance comparison websites in France, where users may compare a variety of insurance policies, including those for health, house, auto, and more.

Le Lynx – another well-known service that allows users to compare different energy suppliers and insurance companies.

Useful resources

Autorite de Controle Prudentiel et de Resolution (ACPR) — insurance regulating body in France

Federation Francais de l'Assurance (FFA) - a group of over 250 insurance companies in France.



bottom of page